PERSONAL

FEATURED

Browse Posts

PORTRAITS

Browse Posts

Weddings

find me elsewhere

Hi there! Welcome to the blog, a journal about my life, weddings, portraits, our home, and more. Stay a while and say hello!

I'M JESSICA!

Second Shooting Recap

Education

Throughout this year, if there was one thing I feel like I learned the most about, it definitely had to be second shooting. Most people look at second shooting as an insignificant role and I view it completely the opposite. For the majority of my own weddings, I know that if I didn’t have a second shooter, my day would be so much harder. Extremely harder. I could do it, but I would rather not and this is why I am so thankful for my second shooters and everyone I had the chance to second shoot for this year.

This year, I second shot for Dyanna Joy Photography, Sarah Houston Photography, Photos By Sarah Beth, Nikki Santerre Photography, Shannon Bishop Photography, Felicia Baker Photography, Allison Maxwell Photography, Brooke Michelle Photography, Brandilynn Aines Photography, and Courtney Morgan Photography. Yes, I know you’re thinking – HOLY MOLEY WOMAN. And yes, you are correct by thinking that. I definitely shot with a lot of people this year and probably shouldn’t have taken on that many jobs, however, I wouldn’t change it for the world and this year’s experience was unforgettable!

I am so thankful for each & every single one of these beautiful and brilliant young ladies and couldn’t have done this year without them. If there’s one thing to remember about second shooting, it’s that everyone does it differently.

I will definitely be writing a few more blog posts on the ethics of being a second shooter, what is and what isn’t okay to do when second shooting, and even what to and what not to do when it’s all said and done! I know we’ve all been there and some of you may just be starting and can’t wait for this information!! If that’s the case, make sure you sign up for my new educational newsletter here that will be starting in just a few short weeks!

October 21, 2015

1. Laura

October 22nd, 2015 at 11:40 am

Wow you shot with so many amazing photographers and I’m sure you learned so much from each experience!

2. Natalie Franke

October 22nd, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Second shooting is such a fun opportunity to create!!

3. Renee

October 22nd, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Second shooting is an incredible experience and I am so glad you were able to shoot for so many awesome people! Yay!

4. Cinnamon Wolfe

October 22nd, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Yes! I’ve recently done some second shooting and I really enjoy it. Opens up a lot of opportunity for creativity. How fun to have 2nd shot for so many awesome photographers. Can’t wait to read more in your series!

5. Lauren Swann

October 22nd, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Second shooting so great and so valuable!!

6. Misty

October 22nd, 2015 at 5:21 pm

I’m just implementing having a second shooter with me at all of my weddings for 2016 because it’s SO hard with just one. Even if it’s just having someone else with you to eat dinner :P. Definitely not doing it again without one, and a good one is SO nice to have! 😀 I’m sure all of those people that were your primaries were grateful to have you!!!

7. Felicia Cracchiolo

October 22nd, 2015 at 6:10 pm

When you have a fantastic second shooter, it means the world. Your portfolio grows and so does business, plus you make a life long friend. I love my second shooter and I do not shoot a wedding without her!

8. Alexandra Peterson

October 22nd, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Can’t wait to read more about your experiences second shooting this year!

9. Sara

October 22nd, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I’m with ya! I love second shooting and working with other photogs!

10. Jill

October 22nd, 2015 at 8:06 pm

What GREAT experience for you- I agree that while I love running my own business and being the first shooter, it is SO nice to get to explore the creativity and also the reminder of how important dependability is when second shooting!

11. Ashley Durham

October 22nd, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Being a second shooter can be so freeing!

12. Jennifer Weems

October 23rd, 2015 at 8:12 pm

I would love to hear about the ethics of second shooting. In my opinion, there is not enough good information out there on the topic!

13. Conchita Medel

October 26th, 2015 at 4:52 pm

I love second shooting and the creativity that can come along with it also. It’s nice when the primary shooters appreciate their 2nd shooters and know that they can be counted on.