Y’all – I’m here to talk to you about Father/Bride first looks! I for one am a huge fan of them. Why? Because just look at Kristen’s father’s expression on his face right below this!! These two are just so sweet and I am so happy that we took a few minutes to make this happen. Even if the day might be running a little late, seeing your dad before you walk down the aisle is such a special moment. I’d love to suggest some tips for brides planning these special moments in the future!
Whenever one of my brides brings up the idea of doing a first look with her father, I always give her a couple of tips/recommendations:
- Make sure it happens before the Bride/Groom first look – it can be hard to control where your father might or might not be on the wedding day and if we are in the middle of your first look with your soon-to-be-husband, it’s a little hard to know exactly where your dad is! So I always recommend doing the first look with your dad first.
- Next, I always recommend doing the first look with your dad somewhere without a bunch of people around. This gives the two of you a private moment together to relax and de-stress before the ceremony! It can get awkward if there are a bunch of eyes on you putting pressure on you to react a certain way, so the more private, the better. 🙂
- Try to have the first look with your father somewhere somewhat near the bridal suite (lighting is always better there, less likely to see guests, etc.).
- The first look with your dad only takes like 5 minutes so don’t stress about not having time for it! It’s seriously one of the easiest, but sweetest parts of the day. 🙂
- Make sure your dad knows where to be way ahead of time and the exact time he should be there. Tell him an earlier time just so he’s there on time. 🙂
- If your father isn’t around, don’t feel like you can’t have this moment. There might be someone else in your life who is like a father figure to you and you are more than welcome to do the first look with them! Whoever has had a great influence in your life and means a great deal to you that you want to see, you can definitely do the first look with. I’ve even had some brides do it with all of their bridesmaids (together) in the past and that was super cute! 🙂
- Sometimes brides surprise their dads with gifts during the first looks and it’s so sweet! In the past, some of my brides have gifted them with football game tickets, jerseys, a monogrammed coffee tumbler, whiskey, a watch, etc. The list goes on! I say the more sentimental, the better! 🙂
Getting to see your father before you go see your soon-to-be-husband or your ceremony is such a spirit lifter and I just love getting to see the way these fathers react to their baby girls. It’s always so priceless and I can’t help but tear up thinking about having this moment on my wedding day!